- GW Gynecological Oncology Program
- Personalized Treatment for Your Cancer Care
The GW Cancer Center’s Gynecological Oncology Program provides highly individualized care for patients with gynecological cancers. Our highly skilled multidisciplinary team includes doctors and experts from many disciplines, including gynecological oncology, radiology, pathology, radiation oncology and genetic counseling. We offer the most advanced treatment options for gynecological cancers, including minimally invasive cancer surgery and fertility-sparing approaches, biologic/targeted agents and intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
Patients treated at the GW Cancer Center not only have access to surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, but also to cutting edge immunotherapies and minimally invasive surgery performed with the da Vinci Robot. We also offer specialty care like our high risk genetic counseling for hereditary ovarian and endometrial cancer cases, patient navigators and social workers to help coordinate care. We offer personalized care for every patient and treatment plans tailored to individual needs. We also work closely with referring physicians to provide the best possible care for our patients.
The GW Cancer Center accepts referrals for patients with all types of gynecological cancer; as well as patients with pre-invasive diseases of the cervix, vulva or vagina; elevated tumor markers that warrant further diagnostic testing; or multiple risk factors, including a personal or family history of gynecological cancer, that merit risk counseling and screening services. Our personalized and multidisciplinary approach means that patients have access to a variety of physicians during their clinic visit:
- Skilled pathologists assist with diagnosis and interpretation of test results
- Surgical oncologists can evaluate and remove tumors, often using minimally invasive laproscopic and robotic techniques
- Radiation oncologists can help deliver a treatment plan tailored to each patient
- Genetic counselors can help patients understand and manage their risk for cancer
Our highly skilled team has the know-how and experience to deal with even the most complex cases. Every minute counts when you’re faced with a cancer diagnosis. If you have been diagnosed or have symptoms, take the first step and schedule an appointment today.
- The Gynecological Oncology Program provides complete care for each patient. A team of physicians and supportive care staff from different specialities come together to discuss each new case. They create a treatment plan that will best serve the patient.
- To ensure that every pateint is treated with the best possible therapies for their needs, our tumor board meets regularly to check progress and make any necessary adjustments to the treatment plan.
- We also offer the services of a patient navigator who can help with care coordination, communication, and many other patient needs or barriers to care.
- Our team consists of nationally renowned specialists in meddical and radiation oncology, as well as cross-disciplinary collaboration with experts from across GW, including researchers, clinical geneticists pathologists, plastic and reconstructive surgeons.
- The Ruth Paul Hereditary Cancer Clinic at the GW Cancer Center helps patients understand and manage their risk of cancer by providing hereditary cancer risk assessment, genetic counseling, genetic testing and preventive care for high risk individuals.
Patients in clinical trials benefit from the latest developments in the field. Our patients have access to state-of-the-art clinical trials and cutting edge research. Here are just a few examples:
- Researchers at GW are studying how repetitive elements in genome regulation and expression can affect the progression of common tumors, including ovarian cancer.
- In the field of cancer genetic testing, GW researchers have found that panel testing can impact clinical management recommendations and help to identify appropriate tests and interpret complex results for those at risk of hereditary cancer.
- Our immunology and immunotherapy research program aims to bring the latest cell therapies from bench to bedside for patients.
Advanced Diagnosis and Treatment
- The GW Cancer Center offers screening and treatment for all forms of gyneological cancers, including cervical cacner, endometrial (uterine) cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine sarcoma, vulvar/vaginal cancer and other types of cancer affecting the female reproductive system.
- We provide biopsies and on-site processing of results, as well as diagnostic imaging services like lymphoscintigraphy (sentinel lymph node mapping).
- Patients at GW have access to all the latest treatments including radation therapy; chemotherapy; systemic therapies like immunotherapy and targeted therapies; and surgical removal of tumors using minimally invasive robotic or laproscopic surgery.
- You'll also have access to supportive care and resources throughout your time at GW.
Leading Edge Technology
The GW Cancer Center provides patients with access to the latest technology in gynecological cancers, including:
- The da Vinci system for minimally invasive gynecological surgery
- Robotic-assisted lymphadenectomy
- Debulking/radical surgeries
- Intraperitoneal chemotherapy
- Systematic therapies including immunotherapy and targeted therapies (drugs that work at the molecular level to stop cancer)
- Analysis of tumor genetics and counseling from the Ruth Paul Hereditary Cancer Clinic
- Reconstructive plastic surgery
Supportive Oncodermatology Clinic
- The Supportive Oncodermatology Clinic supports patients during and after their cancer treatment to prevent and reduce common side effects, such as hair loss, severe skin rashes, skin infections, brittle nails, and dry skin, of treatment.
- It is the only one of its kind in the Washington, D.C. region, and one of only a handful of such clinics in the country.
Ruth Paul Hereditary Cancer Clinic
- At the Ruth Paul Hereditary Cancer Clinic, we work with patients who have a personal history of cancer as well as those who are at high risk for developing cancer because of a known genetic mutation and/or a strong family history of cancer.
- Our role is to help patients understand and manage their risk of cancer by providing hereditary cancer risk assessment, genetic counseling, genetic testing and preventive care for high risk individuals
- Our program also has a number of ongoing research studies in which our patients may participate.
Da Vinci Surgical System
- Surgeons at the GW Hospital use the da Vinci Surgical System to perform robotic gynecological surgeries for endometriosis, hysterectomy and myomectomy.
- The majority of gynecological conditions that can lead to hysterectomy can now be treated effectively without a big incision, with the da Vinci Surgical System, a hysterectomy only requires a few small incisions.
- Benefits of robotic surgery include fewer complications, less pain and scarring, shorter hospital stays and faster recoveries.
- The robot provides improved visualization of the surgical site thorugh 3D magnification, enhanced dexterity for manipulation and dissection of tissue and greater precision.